Saturday, August 18, 2012

The first time my mom tasted butter

One day soon I hope, I will write the story of my mom's childhood and her journey to this country. But for now, snippets will have to do. And I guess it's appropriate because that's how my mom tells me about her past. We'll be sitting in the living room and something will remind her of her childhood and she'll tell me about it.

Well, we were eating steamed corn, and naturally, it tastes better with butter. That's when she said, "I remember the first time I tasted butter"....
I was in Guangzhou watching living with your aunt and watching her children. I was probably 13 or 14. A relative of neighbor came to visit from Cuba, and at that time, they couldn't bring back money. So as gifts, he brought butter. It was in a tin can. We opened it and poured it over rice. And that was a very delicious meal.
I think it wasn't until many years later did she taste butter again. That's the story. The end.

1 comment: