Wednesday, June 27, 2012

No one loses "the battle" to cancer

Naturally, when you're entering an uphill battle, you fight, you kick ass, you give it all you've got, and in the context of cancer, you never lose.

Yesterday, I stumbled upon a post on the Canswear facebook page about winning and losing when you're talking about fighting this disease, which I completely resonated with:

It isn't winning if you get remission or losing if you die. It is that you have given it your all in this fight and you are a winner for even having stepped into the battle arena, treatments are hell and you are walking through it with grit and determination that you never knew you had till now! Remission is not a win, because in this game a new cancer or reoccurrence is always waiting in the wings to jump back into the game!!


 Another commented on that post, a comment that I wholeheartedly agree with:

I agree 110% - winning isn't whether you live or die, but instead *how* you live. I don't think anyone should ever say someone "lost" their battle with cancer -- that makes me mad when I hear that.

If you know someone who died and had cancer, please don't say they lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment