Monday, June 4, 2012

Some positive news we hope

 
Got a call from my brother who was with my mom at dr's appointment/ chemo session. CEA went from 11 to 5! I used to think that my mom's CEA level was not indicative on disease progression/ reduction, but I no longer feel that way. When she was on her previous chemo, her CEA level spiked and as it turned out, the drug had no effect on her disease. Hopefully, this means it's working now. The doctor is reducing the dosage however because she does not want her to land in the hospital again due to low WBC counts. I know we are all in the tough fight, and want to share this good news.
My mom has been feeling very tired and sometimes just miserable. She's in bed half of the day, and when she came home from chemo today, she went directly to the toilet to puke. I'm hoping she can have some break in treatment soon because it's really wearing her out.

3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful news and I have to ask though.. .When you reference CEA... Are those "markers"? I share in yours and your family's delight at the news! I see this post is from yesterday, so I hope that today has been less uncomfortable for her. She sounds like quite a fighter. I hope the rest of today is kind to you both. Sending you a virtual hug and Hi-5 on the news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gen! Yep, it's the CEA marker. My mom took a little more than 3 hours to eat a bowl of oatmeal, but she's eating so that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless her! I watched my Dad not eat for weeks the last couple of months here in the states. There was no getting him to eat, but mostly because of the mouth sores. A part of me misses chemo ... but because it was the only hope (aside from endless prayers to God) that something was controlling his cancer. Then I think about how the chemo was taking more and more away from him that I try to focus on other parts of him that are now well. So 3 hrs to eat oatmeal... Is indeed a blessing in my book! May she eat more today. Sending you warmth.

    ReplyDelete