Saturday, July 14, 2012

The challenge of cooking


Pepper, ham, mushroom pizza that my mom didn't like but my friends did.
It used to be that my mom was the main cook at home, even while on treatment. She likes making her own food because she's very particular. But chemo has made her really tired and now she depends on me and my cooking. Unfortunately, that is not my strength. I can probably cook American food better than Chinese. An added challenge is that my mom's taste preferences change. One day, she'll like something and then another day, she won't like it anymore.

I tried making pizza. Trader Joe's sells pizza dough for $1.19 and I had the toppings already at home: ham, peppers, mushroom. My mom was impressed by the dish and tried it. However, she took one bite and spit it out. At first, I was upset, but then I reminded myself not to get mad. I then contacted a friend and asked if he wanted pizza, and thankfully the food didn't go to waste. I guess what's frustrating is that if my mom doesn't like the food, then I have to make another meal. Porridge, mash potatoes, soup, fish...etc. If she doesn't like it, she won't eat it. And I have to make something that she'll eat. It can be time consuming but it is what it is.

tomato, pear, and brie bruschetta with balsamic glaze

Today, I made tomato, pear, and brie bruschetta with balsamic glaze. I took 2 slices of bread, cut it in half and 3 slices across, and put it in the toaster oven. After toast the bread, I smeared brie over the bread, placed the tomato slice over the brie, and topped it with a thinly sliced pear. After, I dizzled balsamic glaze over the pear and tomato. Balsamic glaze is so easy to do, just added a spoonful of sugar and a dash of soy sauce to balsamic vinegar and heat in up in a saucepan until it gets syrupy. I used the recipe here.

And my mom ate 3 pieces! Go me!

My mom's been having pain recently. I absolutely hate it when she doesn't feel well. I have oxycodone on hand though it makes her very drowsy. I know she doesn't feel well, but I try to keep her eating here and there, some spoonfuls of mango, macaroni with tomato sauce, porridge, carrot juice, bruschetta... I know that whatever she doesn't like or eat, I could always bring it to work for lunch.

2 comments:

  1. I like this dish so much! I will try this wonderful and delicious meal together with my cancer treatment center. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete