Monday, July 2, 2012

Feeling thankful..

These past few days, my mom has not complained of any pain. I'm sure she has some discomfort as irinotecan is known for causing abdominal cramps, but she hasn't asked for oxycodone or other pain  meds. As I type, I know that I could be jinxing myself or speaking too soon, but I just wanted to stress how uplifting it feels when your loved one is feeling ok. It's amazing how much we take our health for granted, especially when all we want is to not be in pain. A few days after chemo, there were times when her body did not agree with food she just took a bite of. We try to encourage her to quickly spit it out and take deep breaths to prevent her body from vomiting.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I recently found your blog, it's so sad and beautiful. My mother was also recently diagnosed with stomach cancer, it was such a shock. She's such strong person, no history of this type of cancer, we are just shocked. Like you, I was raised by my mom as well, she's the most dear person in my life, and one never wants to see a love one suffer at all. I wish you the best, you're such a good daughter, I know how tough the days can be sometimes, and how it is living from moment to moment. Good luck going forward, I hope the chemo is able to eradicate the cancer to the point that you and your mom can live a "normal" life. Take care and god bless.

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Darren. I'm very sorry about your mom's diagnosis. With both my grandma and great grandmother having lived into their 90s, and my mom loving fruits and vegetables, we were shocked by the diagnosis as well. Please give your mother my best wishes for good health. I know doctors will say that the statistics are 16 months for stage 4 stomach cancer patients, but I know many many people that are still here for much longer than that...my mom included :)

    If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with me as my mom has gone through a number of regimens and dealt with many side effects. There is also a private caring and sharing group on facebook for stomach cancer patients and their caregivers. Feel free to request to join. The link is http://www.facebook.com/groups/152766261499442/

    Again, my best to you, your mom, and family.

    ReplyDelete