Monday, October 15, 2012

Palliative Care Vs. Hospice Care

My mom is still receiving Hospice Palliative Care. I didn't realize this until the oncologist told us that. Since she was given blood to treat her low hemoglobin count as well as antibiotics to treat her blood infection, these were measures that might prolong her life. In hospice, you're only give drugs to help relieve symptoms like morphine for pain. Initially, we assumed hospice care was the next step. We didn't know we were in this "limbo" phase. We agreed that she will continue receiving palliative care until the antibiotics stop working and she's no longer lucid because eventually, being pain free will come with the trade off of sleepiness/drowsiness. Most hospitals won't allow you do in-patient hospice, but this hospital has made an exception. The hospital at Robert Wood Johnson in Hamilton is nice and my mom's room is fairly modern. We did not want to transport her to a hospice facility when the care here has been excellent. My mom has been in fairly good spirits. She's feeling lots of love from friends, coworkers, and family that stop by.

My brother explained to my mom that her time is limited. She knows and she's not scared. She just wishes life wasn't so unfair, a sentiment we all feel. She's such a strong woman. She even told my brother not to tell the visitors about her situation. She's like, "Don't tell them that I don't have much time left because it'll only make them feel helpless and sad."

1 comment:

  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete